Class Exercise 1 | Assignment 1A | Assignment 1B | Assignment 2 | Assignment 3 |
| Class Exercise 2 | Assignment 4 | Assignment 5 | Final Project | Reflections |



Assignment 4: Save, prevent, kill
Thursday, March 12, 2009
6:49 PM
COMMENT PLS! (0)

Final Poster


I realised that having the words 'mirror' (almost) the words at the bottom helped this poster achieve an equilibrum through symmetry. I didn't notice initially that my poster felt very top heavy. Now it seems much more.. balanced. Haha. I liked the condoms a lot. Coloured them pink and burned the sides a little to give it more depth. and the stickmen really look like they're inside! oh oh and i love my tag lines too. attention grabbing, big and bold - and they have a catchy ring to it as well. if put at orchard underpass escalators, very hard to miss. hahah. people might not have time to read the copy, but at least they get to read the 'save yourself, not on condoms' part!


Old prototype. :)

Got some problem tracing the sketch.. looks so deformed. :(

COMMENTS FROM CLASS:
-move 'save yourself' down to balance out the top and bottom
-make the condoms translucent, ie. blur the people inside
-maybe bg can be pink as well
-can remove the spots and move main pic to the right so that there's space for a proper caption
ME: took all of the above into consideration and came up with a second one above!

Brainstorming Process: I thought I was totally dry on ideas. I was, just that I just had a sudden burst of inspiration.
Was trying to think of ideas that were uncommon, but that wasn't a good idea because I'm not that creative.
Prevention of STD transmission is a commonly used topic. I saw that quite a lot of people have done that. Topics that initially came to my mind were 'save the trees' which is the ultimate lah. Not confident that i could do it in a brilliantly creative way so I tried thinking of other ideas. Another major one that came to my mind was "Stop hair abuse" - quite a unique topic but damn difficult to portray. I thought of all the captions, slogans, and words already. But couldn't decide on the images or cartoons or photographs. So, i decided to just stick to STD prevention. Namely, condom use.

Tried to give it a 'love' feeling. Hate those explicit ads that use fear tactics to make people use condoms. Decided that love is a beautiful thing. Sex is actually something beautiful. But as with love, it is unpredictable. Especially if someone has multiple partners. So that being the basis of my poster, I decided to portray a light-hearted mood, but with a slight precautionary feeling to it.